Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Translation of MapOSMatic to Spanish

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: Translation of MapOSMatic to Spanish
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:42:11 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for these additional prefixes. I added most of them. Current list
is:

    APPELLATIONS = [ u"Avenida", u"Avinguda", u"Calle", u"Callejón",
            u"Calzada", u"Camino", u"Camí", u"Carrer", u"Carretera",
            u"Glorieta", u"Parque", u"Pasaje", u"Pasarela", u"Paseo", u"Plaza",
            u"Plaça", u"Privada", u"Puente", u"Ronda", u"Salida", u"Travesia" ]

Also on the "que le permite de generar", I think you were right, it
should read "que le permite generar" (a Spanish-speaking friend
confirmed this). I've updated the translation to reflect this change.

> PS : Also, a couple of notes on the user interface, since I kind of
> got familiar with it: :)
>
> When the requested area is too large, afterwards:
> - the map is zoomed out one level compared to what was requested. So
> one has to click at least twice on "+" to get hopefully a smaller
> area, (maybe an automatic zoom in was intended, which would make
> more sense ? Imho, it is probably better to let the user choose the
> area to zoom in on, anyway).

That's a strange bug indeed. We don't try to do any clever stuff with
the zoom when the request is invalid. I'll try to reproduce and see
what's going on.

> - when this happens, the localisation value (pull down menu) is
> lost, and needs to be entered again.

That's a bug. I'll look into it as well.

> PS2: Maxime, just seeing your emails. I think I understood the
> purpose of prefixes (alphabetical order).
>
> I am not sure though that I agree on your choice not to treat short
> prefixes like the long ones. You are certainly right that in the
> long run OSM data should be fixed. Yet, I have just seen so many
> short forms, in so many different places, that it is certainly going
> to take a long time, training, advocating, convincing many
> contributors, fixing, etc... to get long forms everywhere.
>
> It is certainly much easier and more efficient to add the short
> prefixes as well. That is, if you want to have good looking indexes,
> in alphabetical order also for Av, and Ave, for example. (Maybe not
> those that are used only once then, I noted that).

For now we try to make MapOSMatic "pedantic", not trying to accomodate
for errors in OpenStreetMap data so it can serve as a tool to help make
OSM better over time. We frequently have discussions on this though, and
I always forget the outcome. For now, we'll stick with full-length
prefixes since this is what we're doing for all languages.

We may revisit this decision later per-language if the usage consensus
for these sort prefixes sticks.

> PS 3: Please DO NOT add Puerto to the special prefixes. As I tried
> to explain, it is part of the name of the streets, like Volcan, or
> Rio, or General, pr Villa etc... It is NOT, everywhere I have
> looked, a common name to mean Harbour. (I understand these are not
> entered as streets in OSM).

Removed it, thanks!

- Maxime

--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''