[Maposmatic-dev] [task #9917] Apply optipng (or pngcrush) on generated P

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #9917] Apply optipng (or pngcrush) on generated PNG files
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:32:59 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, task #9917 (project maposmatic):

Thanks Jeroen for your detailed report. As you say, we need to test on a few
more maps (larger maps, smaller maps, full maps, empty maps) and indexes
before deciding which parameters give the best result. Note that I'm not
particularly impressed by a ~15% reduction in the size, so I'm not sure
whether it's really worth the effort.

Concerning the fact that PNG is only a debugging format for Cairo, my
proposal is to output only SVG and PDF using Cairo, and then turn either the
SVG or the PDF into a PNG file using an external tool (inkscape if SVG is
choosen, another tool for the PDF). This would also probably help us solving
the fact that the Cairo PNG output is *very* memory-consuming and is currently
the limiting factor for rendering large regions.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9917>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/