Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets

From: Emilie Laffray
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:18:10 +0000

2010/1/8 Bassem JARKAS <address@hidden>
You will not find "name:ar" in the streets of Paris, but in the other hand will find "name:ar", "name:fr" and "name:en" in Lebanon's streets!

So it's better to let the user choose which language he want to be in the generated index.

I agree. It is a discussion I started almost a year ago on the main mailing list. I tried to get a tag implying default language but in many cases, it doesn't make sense in places like Belgium or many bilingual places. Following the discussion, I was convinced that it was indeed better to let people choose the language in which to render the map.
What Wikipedia is doing is an embodiment of this idea. They are rendering maps in a specific language instead of trying to guess the language.

Emilie Laffray