Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10069] Support multiple names for streets
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:04:07 +0100

2010/1/8 Jeroen van Rijn <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 15:52, Bassem JARKAS <address@hidden> wrote:
>> You will not find "name:ar" in the streets of Paris, but in the other hand
>> will find "name:ar", "name:fr" and "name:en" in Lebanon's streets!
>
> Likely Lebanese streets will be tagged with name and name:ar having
> the same value, though? The idea being that offering to render a map
> in its local language would choose the name tag, and a map of Lebanon
> rendered in French would first try name:fr for a street and fall back
> to name.

In fact, I was confusing the problem, there are two different use cases:

 1. Multi-speaking countries like Lebanon and Belgium (or even France
in certain areas) that want to have map and index in a selected
language (for which we already have the selector on the main page);

 2. Multi-language map and index where the user would want to select a
set of languages and render map and index in those languages.

Case 1 is simpler to encode (only ocitysmap should be impacted) and
should be done at first (IMHO).

Case 2 is more complicated as it implies (i) to change Django
front-end interface and (ii) the way Ocitysmap generates street index.

Anyway, I don't have time to work on this right now but at least we
have a good starting point with Biran's code.

Regards,
d.