[Maposmatic-dev] How to support name:* in MapOSMatic?

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] How to support name:* in MapOSMatic?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:57:43 +0100

Hello,

I'm part of MapOSMatic developers. Currently, we are using osm2pgsql
to translate OSM data into Posgresql, as usual. We are using the
default configuration for osm2pgsql. In particular, the tag "name" is
translated into a pgsql column "name".

We would like to support multiple names for a given street: name:fr,
name:ar, etc. As far as I have understood, we could configure
osm2pgsql to create columns "name:fr", "name:ar", etc. and change our
SQL requests to use those columns. That does not seems very scalable.

The ideal configuration would be to have all names (name:fr, name:ar,
...) into a single "name" column and use it. Or have a kind of couple
(name, country_code) that would store all different names for a
street. But I don't know how to do this.

Would any reader of this list have a suggestion on the best way to
handle this issue?

Best regards,
david