[Maposmatic-dev] Discussing the implementation of the cache feature

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Discussing the implementation of the cache feature
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 11:17:19 +0200

Hello,

David (d2) has added to the TODO list the following item :

 For a rendering request for which a rendering is still available,
 redirect directly to this rendering without re-generating it (cache
 system)

While I fully agree with the fact that at the opening of the service,
probably dozens of people will try to render Paris, Toulouse, Rennes,
Lyon, Marseille and other major french cities, I'm not sure how to
implement that properly.

The simplest solution would be at submit time, look for a rendering not
older than n days (to make sure the rendering is fresh enough), with
the same administrative city name, and with existing files. If such a
rendering is found, just redirect the user to the
corresponding /job/<id> page.

This would of course work, but it means that we would not store a new
rendering request. Therefore, we won't have the ability to count how
many people requested rendering requests. And this would be nice, to
see if our service is being used a lot or not.

The best option would probably to create a new rendering request, but
to make it point to files from a previous rendering request. But that's
a fairly significant change that I'm not sure we can do so close to the
disclosure of MapOSMatic.

What's your opinion about this ?

Cheers,

Thomas