Re: AUTOCONF error

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: AUTOCONF error
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 07:29:07 -0600

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 10:58:41AM +0000, Juneja, Neha wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> We are getting below error while executing our shell script on windows.
> Autoconf is not found on the PATH, and AUTOCONF is not set.
> We have downloaded it from the mention path,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/
>
> Can you please provide more context or clarify the issue?

Are you trying to build m4 from a tarball?  If not, I wonder if you
have reached the correct list.

It sounds like you have not yet set PATH to point to a pre-installed
binary of autoconf, which is a pre-requisite for bootstrapping m4 when
not building from a tarball.  But if you are building m4 from a
tarball, the bootstrapping should already be done as part of the
maintainer creating that tarball, so you should not be hitting that
error.  Your description of your problem is not sufficient for me to
know what is actually going on - you didn't paste any actual terminal
command lines, only one error message; you haven't even mentioned
whether you are using WSL, Cygwin, MSYS, or some other Unix-like
environment on Windows - so I can't even tell you have to modify PATH.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.