Any basic cpp capability m4 cannot do?

From: Daniel Goldman
Subject: Any basic cpp capability m4 cannot do?
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 17:49:30 -0700

My analysis suggests cpp and m4 share some 10 basic (non-trivial) capabilities, and m4 has some 15 basic capabilities that cpp cannot do. Examples of "basic capabilities" are: comment, define a macro, include a file, execute a system command, increment a number, etc.

My question: Can anyone suggest some basic capability cpp can do that m4 cannot? Especially in the context of pre-processing C code.

I'm trying to anticipate what might happen on the next step of a conversion process, to anticipate something special cpp maybe does I've overlooked.

Thanks,
Daniel