Re: M4 and dependencies

From: Lorenzo Di Gregorio
Subject: Re: M4 and dependencies
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 16:53:02 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
On 09/29/2010 06:03 AM, Lorenzo Di Gregorio wrote:
Hello,

I believe there is no way to generate dependency information with M4 as we
do in CPP with -MD.  Right?

Correct; this has been requested in the past, but not yet coded and integrated.  Patches welcome, if you can sign the copyright papers.

Well, probably I need some education about this stuff (papers, coding and commit guidelines).  Pointers are welcome, if it they do not require much reading time ;-)

But I guess right now I can just post here the patch I've made for myself and I would be happy to see the feature in the tool.  The patch applies to your current development version, cloned with git.
It adds a -X, --depend=FILE option which is a bit rude and just dumps whatever file is read into a dump file.  Should be refined, of course.