Re: submit the following for Gnu m4 documentation

From: Jack Woehr
Subject: Re: submit the following for Gnu m4 documentation
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:24:53 -0600

Eric Blake wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion; and it's nice to see M4 getting some good use.
I've been using m4 to autogenerate code on this or that project for about 15 years.
Thanks for maintaining a great Free Software tool.
 First off, it would be much easier to include something in the manual if
you submitted it as a diff against doc/m4.texinfo, rather than merely a
snippet of what the output looks like.  And your contribution, once
improved, will probably be long enough to need copyright assignment to
FSF.  Is this still something you are interested in pursuing?  At any
rate, here's some thoughts on the implementation.

Your implementation is not robust to active symbols (and in general,
You're right, of course.

Robustification solves a lot of problems I'm not interested in diverging from PigIron development to solve :( So I guess I'll let it go, the example I submitted stands revealed as more a model of effectively solving a constrained software development problem
than a paradigm for robust m4 programming.

Keep up the good work!

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"