Re: Porting m4 to z/OS

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Porting m4 to z/OS
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:44:43 +0200

David Crayford wrote:
> |> Good point. There is a lot of rework from the m4 that was ported back in
> |> 2001 vs 1.4.11. I notice some functions in lib
> |> such as fpurge() etc that I will need to port. My background is systems
> |> programming, and I made a start with 1.4.11 reverse
> |> engineering the z/OS FILE opaque type into a structure that I kind of
> |> understand. FILE consists of a visible
> |> portion for getc(), putc() and a hidden section which has all the
> |> interesting stuff.

Good; thanks for the offer to help us porting this piece.

You find in   http://www.haible.de/bruno/gnu/testdir-stdioext.tar.gz
the documentation and implementation for all systems so far (from BSD
systems to QNX), and a test suite. The documentation/specification is
in the .h files.

To port this package:

  - Unpack the package, configure it. Try "make" and fix the problems.
  - Run "make check" to see the test results.
  - The recommended order of porting (from easy to harder) is:
    fbufmode, fseterr, freadable, fwritable, freading, fwriting,
    fpending, fpurge, freadptr, freadseek, freadahead.

Bruno