lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] mbedtls integration

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] mbedtls integration
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 20:16:04 +0200

On 14.04.2023 10:08, Giuseppe Modugno wrote:
In the past I enabled ALTCP layer to add TLS and I used
altcp_tls_mbedtls examples present in lwip repo.
I thought it was the way to add TLS to lwip.

Let's say it is "our" way to do that.

Recently I looked at some example projects of NXP, such as this[1].
This is an example of a TLS httpd server. TLS is added by mbedtls, but
ALTCP lwip support is NOT enabled (and altcp_tls_mbedtls is NOT
enabled too).

It seems NXP uses a different (patched?) httpd implementation with
integrated mbedtls support. I couldn't understand if this is a smarter
way to add TLS support to lwip (that avoid ALTCP at all) or an old way
that should be avoided nowadays that is available ALTCP and
altcp_tls_mbedtls.

Hard to tell without being NXP, but I'd say they either just don't know
ALTCP or they refuse to use it because of other reasons. In the end,
both implementations work, but ALTCP saves you from doing the work
yourself or over and over again for every TCP server/client.

Regards,

Simon