lwip-users

[lwip-users] mbedtls integration

From: Giuseppe Modugno
Subject: [lwip-users] mbedtls integration
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:08:26 +0200

In the past I enabled ALTCP layer to add TLS and I used altcp_tls_mbedtls examples present in lwip repo.
I thought it was the way to add TLS to lwip.

Recently I looked at some example projects of NXP, such as this[1].
This is an example of a TLS httpd server. TLS is added by mbedtls, but ALTCP lwip support is NOT enabled (and altcp_tls_mbedtls is NOT enabled too).

It seems NXP uses a different (patched?) httpd implementation with integrated mbedtls support. I couldn't understand if this is a smarter way to add TLS support to lwip (that avoid ALTCP at all) or an old way that should be avoided nowadays that is available ALTCP and altcp_tls_mbedtls.

[1] https://github.com/nxp-mcuxpresso/mcux-sdk-examples/tree/main/lpcxpresso54628/lwip_examples/lwip_httpssrv_mbedTLS/bm