lwip-users

[lwip-users] LWIP 2.0.2 / Xilinx Zynq: TCP hang data transmission after

From: Shemesh mimran, Nir [BWIIL]
Subject: [lwip-users] LWIP 2.0.2 / Xilinx Zynq: TCP hang data transmission after packets loss events
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 17:52:31 +0000

Hi LWIP,

I hope this is the relevant list to ask about an issue I’m working on for a while.

My setup as follow:

  1. Unit A: Embedded unit: Xilinx board (Zynq 7020) running FreeRTOS +LWIP 2.0.2
  2. Unit B: PC client running WIN10

Connectivity between the units is fiber – and I added sniffer in the middle for debugging of the issue.

Unit A transmit in TCP (LWIP 2.0.2) data at around 1.7[Mbps] to unit B.

The problem: after hour of system running the throughput is dropped to zero (except of TCP keep alive) and return back after around 6 seconds.

After reviewing the wireshark in the middle (connected via sniffer) I found a 3 dup acks event that cause fast retransmission reply,

From that moment the Application traffic stopped for 6 seconds and only TCP keep alive was active.

After checking the location of the packet loss I can tell for sure it was in the PC side (runnin Iperf UDP test client /server locally shows some packet loss due to the load on the PC).

I attached two wiresharks files of two events.

Now my question are:

  1. Why there is a drop in the traffic from Unit A ?

  1. Why Fast recovery is not working as it should after fast retransmission event ?

  1. Is there a way to fix it by timers/windows size configuration ?

  1. Is there a known issue about it ? – I looked on the change log since 2.0.2 and havent found something special.

Any help here will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Nir Shemesh

System Engineer