lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [patch #10430] arp: support a proxy ARP IP address on t

From: Andrew Tridgell
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [patch #10430] arp: support a proxy ARP IP address on the netif
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:04:52 +1100

Hi Teddy,

Do you intend to update ARP cache of the bridge eth interface with the proxy IP as destination IP?

no, we don't want that proxyarp IP in our arp cache I think. We never expect to lookup that IP ourselves as it will have a direct route on a different interface (eg. on PPP).

Would it be a good idea to add a test case in test/unit/etharp/test_etharp.c ?

that would be good. I just had a look and it isn't obvious how to add it. At the moment the test just checks if the arp cache gets populated correctly by incoming arp replies, it doesn't seem to test the most basic case of replying to a request for our own IP (unless I missed that somewhere?), so first step would be to add that.
How would we hook the etharp_raw() call to check if we're sending the right output? Any suggestions?
One thing I just noticed is I used C++ style comments in the arp patch. I'll upload a new patch.
In savannah, is there some way to update the patch and remove the old one? I can see how to add a patch, but there doesn't seem to be a way to replace a patch with an updated version.
Cheers, Tridge