lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #64010] oss-fuzz integration

From: Ineiev
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #64010] oss-fuzz integration
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 04:29:54 -0400 (EDT)

[comment #11 comment #11:]
> You can define your own Dockerfile and define your container for your
project and in theory, do aerial imagery processing in it. On the other hand,
it will probably not be accepted if it is unrelated to fuzzing.

If the user (other than Google itself) has to rely on Google's acceptance in
order to use it, if the user has to take Google's word about what really
happens inside the instance they use, then we can't say that the user is
free.

> It is similar to e.g. [2].

It isn't clear whether the analogy really holds (e.g. coreutils developers may
have dissimilar relations with service maintainers) and if yes, whether it's a
bug that should be fixed.  It's a different issue, it should be discussed
separately.

> So a useful service, so open and still on the wrong side because it is
clearly SaaSS by this definition.

The service is on the wrong side because it disrespects its users' freedom, so
the definition does a good job in this case.

> Because back in the days when CI was not a thing, someone told us that SaaSS
was evil.
> So we'll stay in IT prehistory just for that.

I believe the novelty is exaggerated.  Freedom has been being taken away for
millennia, and proprietary software has been positioned as a useful thing
since its very early days, otherwise people wouldn't have bought it.

> Should we add artificial backdoors to build containers to fulfill the idea
that we won't be considered SaaSS? That seems to be the only difference.

Why do you say "we"?  Do you speak for Google?

> So if we would like to use OSS-Fuzz, we should create an unofficial mirror,
do it there, and don't tell you about it ;-)

The main point is: you shouldn't use the resources of the GNU Project to
legitimize services that deny its users freedom.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?64010>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.nongnu.org/