lmi

Re: [lmi] Use wxWidgets support for safely showing message boxes

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Use wxWidgets support for safely showing message boxes
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:33:43 +0000

On 2/17/23 18:29, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

>  PR 228[1], corresponding to xanadu/safe-show-message branch, contains
> another proposed change, which can be applied even to the current master,
> as the required functionality is already part of the version of wxWidgets
> currently being used, but which I've tested with wx 3.2.2.1, i.e. as if the
> PR 226 and/or 227 were already applied.

Applying these all together and running the pc-linux-gnu binary
with '--ash_nazg', I try:
  Test | Test alerts from shared library | Test catastrophe report
Result: "Test catastrophe report." prints on the console, and no
message box appears. Is that the intention?

IOW, in this function:

void report_catastrophe(char const* message)
{
    safely_show_on_stderr(message);
#if defined LMI_MSW
    ::MessageBoxA
        (nullptr
        ,message
        ,"Catastrophic error"
        ,MB_OK | MB_SETFOREGROUND | MB_ICONHAND | MB_SYSTEMMODAL
        );
#endif // defined LMI_MSW
}

can we write an "#else if defined LMI_POSIX && defined __WXGTK__"
clause that pops up a GUI message box even if wx or GTK has
not yet been initialized?