[Linphone-users] unusual request: a way to not use a soundcard with linp

From: mcquaid mcquaid
Subject: [Linphone-users] unusual request: a way to not use a soundcard with linphonec
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 18:07:09 -0400

I used to use the linphone gui on my laptop and home computer.  But at home I now have an ata so only use it on my laptop.

I have another box thats running mythtv and I have a program that would grab the caller id and display on myths on screen display.  Now I'm using the ata, this program can no longer sniff the voip packets with how my network is set up.

I thought of logging into my provider twice (with the ata and linphonec) and grabbing the caller id info from the running linphonec and forward it to my myth box.

And it works.  But the linphonec  running  uses the soundcard.  I tried changing playback_dev_id=ALSA: default device to OSS:/dev/dsp1 which I don't have, but it checks I guess and switched it back to ALSA.  It would accept dsp though.  Could I somehow make a fake dsp1 under /dev to satisfy linphonec startup checks but not actually be tied to anything?

Again, it's a unusual request I guess, but basically I just want this instance of linphonec running, it's never going to answer/make calls.  So I'd rather it not use the soundcard even though it's uses alsa and wouldn't hold the soundcard hostage.  I bet there is probably a better way of doing this though.  I'm not sure if some sip server could do this more elegently, I tried asterisk and some other sip one in the past, and they both had problems with my nat, as did ekiga, but linphone never gave me issues receiving incoming calls, so it would be nice if I could use it here.

--
If you can't keep your lies straight, who's gonna believe ya?