Re: [Linphone-users] Possibilities for smaller jitter buffer?

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Possibilities for smaller jitter buffer?
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:32:56 +0100

Hi,

> 1. Is it possible to extend the possible range towards smaller values, e.g.
> having 5 ms or 10 ms as the smallest possible buffer size?
There are good reasons for not going under 10ms:
* The OS resolution is usually 10 ms, except with some linux-2.6
* The size of RTP packets is usually 20 (the default value), however it can be
lowered with the drawback of increasing bandwidth because of overhead of
ip/udp/rtp headers.
* the soundcards/drivers of our pc have usually bigger latencies (up to 1
second in the worse case), and around 32 ms with the best drivers (though it
can be possible to lower it again).

> 2. Is it possible for me to manipulate some source file in linphone-1.2.0
> to give this a quick try, or would this change require changes in many
> parts of the source?
>
> I think it would improve the speech quality if the jitter buffer could be
> smaller. Right now I experience an audible delay in the receive direction.
> (But this can of course have other reasons as well).

Yes I think it's better to know where the delay comes from before lowering
values somewhere that are not related with the delay you observe.
I don't remember if I asked you a complete call log (linphone --verbose). If
not, please send to me.

Simon