Re: Glissando intervoices

From: Leo Correia de Verdier
Subject: Re: Glissando intervoices
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:49:00 +0200

Hi Mario!

Like Kieren, I thought you were satisfied with the answers you got, since you
did not send any MWE. Anyway, here is how I would code the passage you sent in
the first mail:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.25.1"
<<

  \new Staff = "upper" <<
    \key e \minor
    \new Voice \relative fis'' { \voiceOne fis2 dis4 e8 fis
                                 g2. fis4 }
    \new Voice \relative dis'' { \voiceTwo s2 \hideNotes dis4 \glissando s4
                                 \unHideNotes b4 a b a}
    \new Voice \relative fis' { \voiceTwo
                                fis2 fis \glissando
                                % Here you could use \showStaffSwitch instead
of \glissando
                                \change Staff = "lower" \voiceOne
                                e g4 fis }

  \new Staff = "lower" <<
    \new Voice \relative dis' { \voiceOne dis8 e dis cis \voiceTwo b a g fis e1
}
    \new Voice { \voiceTwo b2 }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

It’s a bit messy, but with complex voice structures I usually end up there…
In a real world situation you will, depending on what the music looks like
either have to create parallel structures and new voices on the fly as they
appear or keep empty voices ”alive” with spacer rests.

I think the staff switch line actually looks better than the glissando, but
they look different, so I’d stick with the glissando.

Developing team: Could something like this (this is not the first time I see
this kind of notation) be a reason for a mechanism allowing to create
VoiceFollowers within one staff? Unless it already exists and I’m just unaware
of it.

HTH
/Leo