Re: Beginner question about writing for drums

From: mail-login+lilypond
Subject: Re: Beginner question about writing for drums
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 00:46:56 +0000

Hi,

> Quasi all I write for drum is in multiple small chunks of this format :
> <<
> { hh4 <hh sn> hh q }
> \\
> { bd4 r bd r }
> >>

> Using lots of variables of reused patterns for hh and whatnot.

Oh I like this notation. Just being curios, are the voices somehow linked if I
create another chunk like that? (so is it possible to configure them together)

An example what I mean:
<< {hh4} \\ {bd4} >>
<< {cymbc4} \\ {sn4} >>

Can I set properties of the voices containing hh4 and the voice containing
cymbc4 somehow commonly? (or are these two completely different voices?)

> I've attached an old transcription I made for a friend of mine for
> Vince Dicola Training Montage back in the 2.16.2 era :

That helped definitely (especially as it contains a nice mix of common
use-cases). Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes
Lukas