Re: Vertical positioning of different texts

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Vertical positioning of different texts
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 22:25:59 +0200

Le jeudi 27 avril 2023 à 21:39 +0200, Immanuel Asmus a écrit :

Hi all, I am engraving a leadsheet for a song. It includes section labels (verse, chorus etc.), chords, and text annotations (as "clap") – all above the staff. Unfortunately, the position of the different text seems arbitrary. Here is a snippet:

\version "2.24.1"

 chordNames = \chordmode {
   \set chordChanges = ##t
   \sectionLabel "Intro"
   a1:m f g e:m

   \sectionLabel "Strophe 1"
   a1:m a:m
 }

 melody = \relative c'' {
   \sectionLabel "Intro"
   << {s1*4}
     \new CueVoice {a2.^"kbd." b8 c f,2. b8 c d2. c4 g1}
   >> \bar "||"

   \sectionLabel "Strophe 1"
   \override NoteHead.style = #'cross
   \repeat percent 2 {r8 c^"klatschen" r c r c r c}
   \revert NoteHead.style
 }

 \score {
   <<
     \new ChordNames \chordNames
     \new Staff { \melody }

   \layout { }
 }

And the result:

Another one further into the score (the code is identical, just the spacing is different): I’d like the texts to appear as in the "Strophe 1" case: section labels (horizontally aligned) above chords above annotations.

I don't have the time to explain this, and it's not really to be proud of, but try

\layout {
  \override Score.SectionLabel.padding = 2.5
  \override ChordNames.VerticalAxisGroup.X-extent = #'(-inf.0 . +inf.0)
}

Furthermore, it would be great if section labels stood out a little more by choosing a different font, bold or cursive style. Is it possible to change the font for section labels globally?

Sure. For example:

\layout {
  \override Score.SectionLabel.font-name = "DejaVu Serif, Bold Italic"
}

HTH,

Jean