Re: Separate dynamics from notes

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Separate dynamics from notes
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:04:14 +0200

Le jeudi 27 avril 2023 à 14:57 +0200, Gianmaria Lari a écrit :

Regarding my second question, let me try to be more clear

I have a score. I want to write the dynamics using a separate variable. Suppose that on the first quarter of the tenth measure there is a "forte" and then on the note of the next bar there is a "piano." If all the measures have the same "time signature", let's say of 4/4, then it's pretty easy: just count the beats and multiply by 4. Finally you will write:

s19 s4\f s43 s4\p

The operation is not difficult but making mistakes is pretty easy. In fact this system works well if the "time signature" does not change or changes very little in the piece. Otherwise you have to add up the duration of each note individually and making mistakes becomes extremely easy.

This thing always seemed so inconvenient to me that I thought it was practically unusable. Or that there was some trick to maybe have Frescobaldi tell me the "position" of the note (meant as numbers of quarter or eight notes from the beginning).

Hope I have been more clear.

This sounds like it might be a use case for Jan-Peter Voigt's "Edition engraver" tool.

https://github.com/openlilylib/edition-engraver