Re: Default beam exceptions for 4/4

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: Default beam exceptions for 4/4
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 17:35:17 +0200

On 26 Apr 2023, at 17:06, Mats Bengtsson <matben@kth.se> wrote:

On 2023-04-26 16:39, Michael Werner wrote:
\version "2.25.4"

\new Staff = "main" {

  \overrideTimeSignatureSettings
  4/4        % timeSignatureFraction - i.e. the time signature
  1/4        % baseMomentFraction - what note duration to base this on
  1,1,1,1        % beatStructure - this is the beat pattern
  #'()       % beamExceptions - needed to disable the defaults, or some such thing

  \new Voice {
    \time 4/4

    \relative c' {
      d4 d4. e8 e e

Unfortunately that doesn't answer the question, since then d4 d4 d8 d8 d8 d8 will also be beamed by quarter notes. As far as I know the answer to David's question is that it cannot be obtained using the current support for automatic beams. The beam decisions is only taken based on the shortest duration encountered since the possible start of the current beam. A more advanced support would be needed to be able to specify more specific beaming patterns.

    /Mats

I suspect that more advanced support is already there with the beamExceptions (which the  should be specified as a non-empty a-list

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/beams#setting-automatic-beam-behavior

but I've never experimented with it.

   Mats Bengtsson, Prof.
   Information Science and Engineering
   School of Electrical Engin. and Comp. Science
   Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
   SE-100 44  STOCKHOLM
   Sweden
   Phone: (+46) 8 790 8463