Re: sectionLabel dropped by segno repeat

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: sectionLabel dropped by segno repeat
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 00:13:52 +0200

Le mercredi 26 avril 2023 à 00:02 +0200, Stephan Schöll a écrit :

@Jean, sorry, of course i forgot the change I wanted to show by swapping the section label and the repeat segno lines in the 2nd example. I fixed it in this code (snippets A and B). In example C I changed section labels to rehearsal marks according to your advice. It seems that I still have a flawed understanding of the newly introduced section labels (I love semantics in any kind of code...). Let me check the docs.

A rehearsal mark (created with \mark) is, well, for rehearsal. It's just a convenient alternative or supplement to bar numbers. A section label (\sectionLabel) tells something about the music. For example, "Coda". This doesn't just mark a point in the score like "D" does, but implies something about the musical form. Same with "Intro" or "Chorus".

Rehearsal marks have different default formatting than section labels.

A metronome mark (\tempo), also called tempo mark, is for what the name says. A jump script (\repeat segno or \jump) indicates a jump in the performance, typically "Da capo", "Dal segno al coda" or such. The last type of textual marks is generic text marks (\textMark or \textEndMark), which are for everything that doesn't fit in the other categories.

@Laurie, the segno repeat is new in 2.25.x

Nope, \repeat segno is from 2.23.6 (but the various repeat-related enhancements around it were gradually introduced across the 2.23 series).

Best,

Jean