Re: Voice synthesis

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: Voice synthesis
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 08:10:43 -0400

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 7:58 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> Le 25 avr. 2023 à 12:55, J Martin Rushton <martinrushton56@btinternet.com> a écrit :
>
> I was playing back a MIDI piece and wondered if anyone had ever
> combined voice synthesis with MIDI?  I know that you can get MIDI
> "ah"s, but I was meaning voiced from the text like a text reader.

LilyPond comes with a script called "lilysong" that was apparently written to do just that, using Festival.

It was unfortunately added without documentation a decade ago and never documented, nor much maintained since. I very much doubt that it still works, but you can always try.

For my wee voicemail greeting, I did it the hard way by hand-coding the XML file. Festival uses the "Singing" dtd:

<!DOCTYPE SINGING PUBLIC "-//SINGING//DTD SINGING mark up//EN" "Singing.v0_1.dtd" []>