Re: Centering columns on the page

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Centering columns on the page
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:30:03 +0100

On Mon, 2023-04-17 at 20:26 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le lundi 17 avril 2023 à 18:51 +0100, Richard Shann a écrit :
> Someone asked me how to set some verses in columns across the page
> after the title in their piece. I found a snippet in the LSR which
> defines a markup command \columns to place columns evenly spaced
> across
> the page. So with three verses you get one aligned at the left, one
> 1/3
> and one 2/3 of the way across the page. With two columns the second
> column starts at the page center.
> What is nice about this definition is that it scales nicely when you
> alter the global staff size.
> I have tried to modify the definition to move the whole set of
> columns
> to the left,

eeek! sorry, I meant to the right of course, to center the columns on
the page.

>  so that e.g. the second of three columns straddles the
> center of the page or the space between two columns is centered.
> My efforts have been in vain, so I was wondering if someone could
> suggest how to do this.
> Like this?
> \markup \override #'(line-width . 100) \columns ...
> The line-width property is read by \line / make-line-markup.

Oh, I'm sorry for writing "left" for "right", that completely muddled
my question. Setting the line width narrower moves the center of the
block of columns to the left - even further from the center of the
page.
If it existed \override #'(left-margin . 100) might be the answer.
For complete flexibility I suppose one could wish to set to space to
left of each column separately...

Richard