Re: Error regarding line cap style

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Error regarding line cap style
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 11:48:56 +0200

Le lundi 17 avril 2023 à 19:40 +1000, Andrew Bernard a écrit :

While reviving a seven year old project, as I go along I am encountering
various errors with the much newer versions of lilypond.

What's this one about?

warning: unknown line-cap-style: (quote butt)
ERROR: In procedure symbol->string:
In procedure symbol->string: Wrong type argument in position 1
(expecting symbol): (quote miter)

You probably have an extraneous quote somewhere, like

\markup \override #'(line-cap-style . 'butt)
\path #0.1 #'((lineto 1 0) (lineto 0 1))

instead of

\markup \override #'(line-cap-style . butt) \path #0.1 #'((lineto 1 0) (lineto 0 1))

> [I am not approaching this using convert-ly, but rather prefer to
> address each issue myself, in order to fully understand what is
> happening. Besides, does convert-ly go from 2.19.53 to 2.25.3?]

Yes, of course. It has one rule for each new version. Naturally, the older the version you upgrade from, the more chance there is that things have to be converted by hand, but it still saves time.

For what it's worth, if you run convert-ly via Frescobaldi, it will show you a diff that you can inspect before applying it.