Re: System-system spacing and ragged-last-bottom with multiple scores

From: Michael Werner
Subject: Re: System-system spacing and ragged-last-bottom with multiple scores
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:42:46 -0400

Hi Ralph,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 11:27 AM Ralph Palmer <palmer.r.violin@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm having a problem with system-system spacing and ragged-last-bottom in a \Book with multiple scores. I was able, at some point, to do a ragged last bottom on the first score, but the systems were too close for my comfort. I've looked a lot at what seem to be the appropriate places in the Notation Reference, but I cannot figure out how to configure the context within the first score to control either the ragged bottom or the system-system distance, much less both.

Both system-system-spacing and ragged-bottom  need to be placed in a \paper block, not a \layout block. There are limits on where a \paper block can be put. In this case what I would do (and there could very well, and probably are, better ways but this is what I came up with) is to put each of the scores into its own \bookpart section, as a \bookpart is one of the places a \paper block is allowed. This also obviates the need for the \pagebreak, as that is automagically put in by using a \bookpart. Also, system-system-spacing is comprised of 4 elements, each of which gets set seperately. Have a look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/the-paper-block
and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables
for some details on how it works. But a short version is try something like:

\book {
  \header {
    title = "Test"
    subtitle = "system spacing"
  }

  \bookpart {
      \paper {
        system-system-spacing.padding = #8
        ragged-last-bottom = ##t
      }
    \score {
      \header {
        piece = \markup \fill-line \huge \bold { "First" }
      }
      \new ChoirStaff
      <<
        \new Staff
        << \IVlaI >>
        \new Staff
        << \IVlaII >>

  %  \pageBreak

  \bookpart {
    \score {
      \header {
        piece = \markup \fill-line \huge \bold { "Second" }
      }
      \new ChoirStaff <<
        \new Staff
        << \IIVlaI >>
        \new Staff
        << \IIVlaII >>

      \layout {}

This should get you started along towards what it sounds like you're trying to do.

Michael