Re: converting `\markuplist` to `\markup`

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: converting `\markuplist` to `\markup`
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:12:18 +0200

Hello Werner,

how should \column not be the "right" way? A markup list is a list of markups,
but does not contain any information about how these should be positioned. The
default behaviour Lilypond does when encountering a toplevel markuplist or
when having a markuplist in a score is to stack them vertically by baseline.
The default behaviour when encountering a markuplist in a markup is to stack
them horizontally with some separating space. But generally a markuplist needs
to be interpreted in some way. In a markup context this is done using
functions like \column (place them vertically), \line (place horizontally with
space), \concat (place horizonatally without space), \fill-line (place
horizontally aligned to equally spaced points along the whole line width),
\word-wrap (place horizontally but wrap at end of line), ...

So using \column is actually a good way to do it, as you clearly tell Lilypond
what interpretation you want.

Cheers,
Valentin