Re: converting `\markuplist` to `\markup`

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: converting `\markuplist` to `\markup`
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:34:52 +0000 (UTC)

> What do you mean by “convert”?

Probably bad wording: I mean to wrap a markup list into a markup.

> I don’t know what it means to convert a markup list to a markup,
> since there are many ways in which you can combine the stencils:
> \column, \center-column, \line, \concat, \fill-line, etc.

I want to combine the stencils without changing the horizontal or
vertical spacing.

> What is insufficient with \column for your use case?  Are you trying
> to keep flexible vertical spacing between the table lines?

`\column` works just fine.  I was only wondering whether it is the
'right' way.

Here is an example.  If you process file `a.lytexi`

```
\input texinfo

@lilypond[verbatim]
\markuplist {
  \override #'(baseline-skip . 0)
  \table #'(-1) { foo bar } }
@end lilypond

@lilypond[verbatim]
\markup \column {
  \override #'(baseline-skip . 0)
  \table #'(-1) { foo bar } }
@end lilypond

@bye
```

with

```
lilypond-book --format=texi --pdf --output=a a.lytexi
```

followed by `texi2pdf a/a.texi` you get the attached result.  As can
be seen, `lilypond-book` enlarges the vertical spacing for the
`\markuplist` because it gets converted to two `@image` commands, and
`texinfo.tex` inserts some additional space between them.

    Werner

PNG image