/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond: not found

From: JD Margulici
Subject: /usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond: not found
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 17:04:07 -0700

Hello, I am running the following commands to install Lilypond on Alpine Linux:

wget https://lilypond.org/download/binaries/linux-64/$LILYPOND_INSTALLER
sh $LILYPOND_INSTALLER

with LILYPOND_INSTALLER set to lilypond-2.23.6-1.linux-64.sh

The installation proceeds without glitches. However when I try to run Lilypond I get the following error message, which in spite of its apparent simplicity is rather cryptic since the file that is not found actually exists:

/usr/local/bin/lilypond: exec: line 4: /usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond: not found

Similar error with lilypond-book:

/usr/local/bin/lilypond-book: exec: line 6: /usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/python3: not found

I found a 15-year old post that reports the same error, but the resolution was not clear: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-01/msg00725.html

Thank you for your help!

JD