Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.3.0

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 3.3.0
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 14:41:59 +0100

On 10 Apr 2023, at 10:08, Davide Liessi <davide.liessi@gmail.com> wrote:

Il giorno lun 10 apr 2023 alle ore 09:00 Michael Hendry
<hendry.michael@gmail.com> ha scritto:
“Frescobaldi.app” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

This is expected: as we write in the release page, "The application
bundles are not signed with an Apple Developer certificate".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Correct.

Several warnings came up,

LilyPond warnings or Frescobaldi/Python warnings?
Given that you tried to use convert-ly to solve them, I suppose you
were referring to LilyPond warnings.

Yes, Lilypond warnings.

“python3.10” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

I didn't think about this, but indeed that's expected, for the same
reason as above.

…but haven’t been able to get round this using the same method.

Is python3.10 not listed in the System preferences -> Security &
Privacy tab when the error message appears?

No.

You can try to run python3.10 manually: right-click on the Frescobaldi
application bundle, choose "show package contents" and navigate to
Contents/MacOS, which should contain a Frescobaldi and a python3.10
binaries.

I double-clicked on the Python and got the following on Terminal:

michaelhendry@iMac ~ % /Applications/Frescobaldi.app/Contents/MacOS/python ; exit;

Python 3.10.10 (main, Feb 10 2023, 08:44:19) [Clang 9.1.0 (clang-902.0.39.2)] on darwin

Try applying the suggestions of the Apple support page to the python3.10 binary.
Please let me know if this works: I'll update the notes on the release page.

This worked for python, but when I compiled a test file I got a similar message about ‘gs’.

I don’t think the tickbox in System Preferences saying something like “use it anyway” appeared when I first tried, and I’m sure I didn’t get it with ‘gs’ first time.

During this time my OS has lost 32-bit support.

I think that Gatekeeper's checks would apply to both 32 bit and 64 bit
applications.

I’d been using Frescobaldi for about ten years without such issues, it’s only since I upgraded my iMac - with 64-bit-only OS - that I’ve had this sort of problem.

Anyway, I now seem to have Frescobaldi up and running.

Many thanks,

Michael