Organising files/variables/ in lilypond

From: Eef Weenink
Subject: Organising files/variables/ in lilypond
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 14:11:43 +0000

I have this project: I make arrangements of figured bass pieces. (Generalbass Wolf). In total 100 pieces.
Uptill now I organised it this way:
- 1 file with all pieces in it (I did about 10, 90 to go).
The file starts with an include of a startup.ily, with some settings for the whole book
then the first piece.
I include a file (arrangeit.ily) to change the music into several voices, etcetera using arranger.ly
I add some lines to change 1-2 voices a bit using also arranger.ly
then I include a file (Generalbassmakescore.ily with the settings to create the score.
Second piece (with the same variablenames!)
and repeat the includes like mentioned above.
etcetera.

It works, looks well. At the end I have 1 file with alle the pieces and 3-4 files to do small jobs, It is not fast.

But somehow I have the idea this could be easier/better. But how?
- One idea would be to put all pieces in separate files and include this in one file with all jobs: arranging, extra changes, create voice/score. But then I will have 101 files

Most easy would be to create a file with procedures I need, include the file and call the procedures when needed. . But how? Lilypond does not have procedures (as far I know?).
Using functions gives lots of errors.
I tried it with variables, but no luck either.

I try to put these lines in a variable/function/procedures (as an example):
What to do, to make lilypond use the lines between {} simply as a replacement of the variable?

arrangeit = {
%----- verwerking-------
all = #'(pright pleft  soprano alto tenor bass viola contrabas soprano)
#(init all)

 #(begin
   ;;pianopartij
  (rm 'pright '(1-4)   (rel 1 'melody) )
  (rm 'pleft '(1-4)   (rel  'bassline) )

;; koorpartijen
;; sopraan
  (rm 'soprano '(1-4) (note 1 (rel   'melody) ))
;;alt
  (rm 'alto '(1-4)   (note 2  (rel  1 'melody)) )
;; tenor
  (rm 'tenor '(1-4) (note 3 (rel 1 'melody) ))
;; bass
  (rm 'bass '(1-4)  (rel  'bassline) )
;;ciontrabass
  (rm 'contrabas ' (1-4)  (rel  'bassline) )
)
}

Eef