Re: -dgui option dropped in 2.24 - how to stop the black box on Windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: -dgui option dropped in 2.24 - how to stop the black box on Windows now?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 11:03:36 +0100

On Tue, 2023-04-04 at 11:32 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le mardi 04 avril 2023 à 10:29 +0100, Richard Shann a écrit :
> > The situation on Windows without lilypond-windows.exe is even worse
> > than I thought - the option -dlog-file no longer generates the log
> > file
> > into the prescribed place - instead the log is splashed onto the
> > terminal box (which then vanishes when the typesetting is
> > finished).
> > It means no error reporting to the unlucky Windows users of Denemo.
> For me, -dlog-file still works. Do you have a reproducer?

I've just run lilypond.exe from a "Windows Power Shell" in the lilypond
bin directory targetting a file on the user's Desktop. It *did* indeed
generate a log file with the -dlog-file option, the file appearing in
the bin directory where the executable was launched. No stderr appeared
in the terminal.

The documentation on -dlog-file doesn't specify where the file will
appear in the case that a full path is not given, but previously run
from g_spawn_sync it appeared in the same directory as the lilypond
source. It doesn't appear there now, nor in the bin directory (this is
under the user's home directory), nor (given my limited abilities
searching on Windows) anywhere else.

I should mention that the -dgui was a complete red herring here - I
mistakenly thought Denemo was depending on it to capture the log output
but in actual fact "-dlog-file filename" is always passed, the only
thing Denemo has to do is append the ".log" and then open it to find
the error locations.

It is, of course still working under Unix - the log file appears under
the /tmp/DenemoXXXX directory where the LilyPond source is written by
Denemo.

Thank you for looking into this!

Richard