Re: -dgui option dropped in 2.24 - how to stop the black box on Windows

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: -dgui option dropped in 2.24 - how to stop the black box on Windows now?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 08:10:27 -0700

On 2023-04-03 3:19 am, Richard Shann wrote:
On Sun, 2023-04-02 at 11:54 -0700, Aaron Hill wrote:
I have never looked at Denemo or its source code, so what I am going
say might not be so trivially applicable.
 But in the Win32 API, you can
call CreateProcess and use the process flag CREATE_NO_WINDOW.

You were quite right to be doubtful - Denemo tries to off-load the
target machine dependent stuff onto libraries, in this case glib which
provides the routine to spawn a process, and sadly does not expose the
CREATE_NO_WINDOW part of the Win32 API.

Ah, such is the bane of cross-platform programming. Often these edge cases get overlooked with API abstractions.

For now I'll disable the autocompilation option for Windows with
LilyPond 2.24. Is there any chance the developers might re-instate the
lilypond-windows.exe?

The question of the hour is: Is this a LilyPond problem or a Denemo problem? (Well, one could also ask whether this is a glib problem.) If another third-party tool like Frescobaldi is still working given the change in LilyPond, then the case could be made that this is something best addressed in Denemo itself. However, if LilyPond could easily provide both entrypoints as it used to, then the issue should be filed against LilyPond.

----

This is something I have not tested, but there are some indications that the subsystem of a Windows portable executable can be changed after it has been built. There are two references to Perl modules that do this:

  https://metacpan.org/pod/Win32::Exe
  https://metacpan.org/dist/Tk/view/exetype

It sounds like you could manually copy lilypond.exe to lilypond-windows.exe and then change the copy's subsystem. Not really a long-term solution, but it might help you keep auto-compilation as that really does sound like a useful workflow.

-- Aaron Hill