Re: Discourse

From: Wol
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:25:44 +0000

On 26/02/2023 06:21, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
But (contrary to a false statement I made about import into
Discourse) you can't import mailbox format lists into Discourse
simply, because, for example, the creation of users from 25 years
ago who most probably no longer have the same email addresses is
very problematic for various reasons.

It's really a pity that such a conversion is not supported, since it
would be extremely helpful in the long run.  However, e-mail addresses
shouldn't be exposed in the web interface (the already existing e-mail
list archive doesn't do that either).  The construction of threads
rather relies on the 'In-Reply-To:' and 'References:' fields, AFAIK.

That other list I mentioned imported their archives into Discourse - they said it would take about 5 hours there was so much, so it sounds like they went back quite a way.

I know nothing about how it went, but I'm surprised there isn't some way of importing old archives into Discourse, especially as others seem to be doing exactly that.

Cheers,
Wol