Re: Discourse

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 15:02:59 +0000

Since we’re airing grievances …

The format of the response below is exactly what bothers me most about email lists and why I favor forums. The etiquette is to quote what you are responding to and remove everything else. Imagine 4 other people quoted different parts of the original email, I now have 5 disjointed emails going off, perhaps, in 4 different directions. With a forum, topics can be split and merged retaining all parts of OP’s initial post/email and I can ignore the tangents I’m not interested in.

Secondly, a forum only notifies you when you are part of a thread (either started or replied to one) which reduces the email traffic tremendously. You aren’t poked with an email every time someone has a thought or issue, rather, you instantiate the interaction with the forum. Yes, I know digest option is available, but really, who wants to wade through an entire month’s worth of emails in one shot.

Thirdly, from a practical workflow perspective, I would much rather scroll through a thread that is on one page than to click n-number of emails. Of course, having to click into multiple emails is due in large part to my first point.

… and I’ll probably get yelled at for top-posting as well ;-)

Bottom line: Count me in for migrating and I also have resources to host it if need be.