Re: Discourse

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 11:13:22 +1100

I wouldn't say lots, and neither for sure. I did a major investigation of other free forum programs and it pretty clear that Discourse is superior to all, and importantly it can be self hosted, and others mostly do not have an email list function. Hence why so many organizations are turning to and using Discourse, e.g. python.org, Steinberg, LetsEncrypt, etc. I also ran my lists on GNU Mailman 2 and Mailman 3 and I have to say, even as a technical person, the switch to Discourse took a massive load off my shoulders in terms of maintenance and freedom from bugs and so on. Discourse has a very active and capable developer community and undergoes rapid and continuous development. Discourse also works very well on mobile devices too. There are now over 30,000 online communities using Discourse (reference: https://discourse.org ). [And please nobody confuse it with Discord, a totally different thing.] But this is all by the bye.

Andrew