Re: Policy for posts from non-members

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Policy for posts from non-members
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:10:11 +0100

Hi,

Am 22.02.23 um 12:45 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Most employed people who work use email daily and countless people understand folders and filters.
Well... I cordially invite you to come visit us and marvel at what one encounters when working in a thoroughly non-technical environment like, for example, a music university :-). E-Mail, yes; folders, probably; automatic filtering, no way.
[Re Musescore, that may have been an offhand reference just to a random competing application but on the forum page it is stated: "Log in to post new content in the forum."

https://musescore.org/en/forum

]

Yes, it was a more-or-less random reference to the most important "competing" (if that term is applicable at all) free software music typesetting system. But not because MuseScore offers a more accessible forum - I have no idea how that works there -, but because MuseScore looks to non-technical people more like what they expect from a music typesetting system. LilyPond _is_ esoteric. And although I'm quite skeptical about its suitability as engraving program for non-technically-minded musicians, I think we don't have to increase the barrier more than necessary. Frankly, even I myself am using MuseScore for a lot of "simple music typesetting" tasks these days (having gotten to know it better during the pandemic): I only turn to LilyPond now for "serious stuff that should look seriously great".

But of course this discussion borders on being OT.

Lukas