Re: move chords closer to notes

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: move chords closer to notes
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 04:10:13 +0100

Le mardi 21 février 2023 à 03:55 +0100, mikel@orbelanet.com a écrit :

Hi everyone,

when I write the chords together with one or several melodies, the
chords form a horizontal line, in such a way that if the range of the
melody is very wide, some chords end up being very far from the notes.

I attach a sample of the .ly file along with its pdf, where you can see
that the first chords are excessively far from the melody. How can this
behavior be changed?

So you want to break the horizontal alignment of chords?

As far as I know, this would be the easiest way:

\version "2.24.0"
global = {
  \key c \major
  \partial 4
  \time 2/4
}
melody = \relative {
  r16 g' g g \bar "||"
    <<
      {
        e' c c c d b b b c8 a r16 d d c c8 b r16 c c b a8 g r16 g fis g \break
        c g fis g b g fis g a8 f r16 g fis g b g fis g a f e f g8 e r16 g g g \break
      }
      \\
      {
        g4 gis a16 g f a c4 b, a a16 g c d e4 g fis f r g f e r

harmonies = \chords {
  \set minorChordModifier = \markup { "-" }
  s4
  c e:7 f2 g c s4 b d2:m g4 g:7 c2
}

\score {
  \new Staff
  <<
    \harmonies
    \new Voice {
      \global
      \melody
    }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      % move ChordNames inside Staff
      \accepts ChordNames
    }
    \context {
      \ChordNames
      % remove the baseline that aligns chord names together
      \remove Axis_group_engraver
      % define placement among other outside-staff objects
      \override ChordName.outside-staff-priority = 500
      % print below staff
      \override ChordName.direction = #DOWN
      % change distance to staff objects
      \override ChordName.outside-staff-padding = 0.5

Best,

Jean