Re: I did not previously realize that Lilypond would automatically updat

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: I did not previously realize that Lilypond would automatically update pre-existing scores
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 22:09:49 +0100

Hi Kenneth, hi all,

Lilypond is both a program and a music language. So we have two versions, the
program version and the language version. Using a lower program version on a
higher language version does issue a warning and will potentially fail. Using
a higher program version on a lower language version will not issue a warning,
but still potentially fail. I do think that even in this case Lilypond should
issue a warning.

The silent implication here is that the language is only extended, but never
changed. Thus if the language version is more recent than the program it might
be that it uses a feature that the program does not have at this point, but if
the language version is older than the program version it is assumed that the
program can handle the old language version.

This is of course totally not true: We often see renaming of functions and
Grobs, changes in behaviour of e.g. some engravers which also occasionally
means that the language has to change and such.

I think in stable it is reasonable to assume that the language does not change
much due to minor updates. On devel the language is expected to change, and
between major versions I think we should expect the possibility of
incompatibility.

Cheers,
Valentin