Re: bad grace note spacing

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: bad grace note spacing
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:17:06 +0100

Le samedi 18 février 2023 à 08:01 +0000, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :

>> The issue I filed is not related to `strict-grace-spacing` at all.
>
> It’s quite related.  [...]

With 'related' I meant that there are two separate bugs.  I didn't
talk about what the best fix for the whole problem actually is.

> In strict-grace-spacing mode, grace columns are not part of the main
> chain of springs that goes through the whole system from column to
> columns and stretches or compresses. Instead, they are placed
> separately. That’s the easiest way of making the space between a
> grace and its main note non-stretching that I can think of.

Yes.  The only problem is what to do if there isn't sufficient space
for the grace note.

> The other way would be add very strong springs to make the
> distances “almost” fixed, but it would be ugly.

What exactly would be ugly?

> To me, the issue is essentially requesting two things: a) make
> strict-grace-spacing less buggy, b) make strict-grace-spacing the
> default.

I agree with both.  However, until this gets fixed, I wonder whether
there are work-arounds that could be applied.

I missed it at first, but it's actually very easy in your example.

\version "2.24.0"

{
  \override Score.GraceSpacing.spacing-increment = 0
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \repeat unfold 16 { \grace e'8 d'4 } \break
  \repeat unfold 8 { \grace e'8 d'4 }
}

\paper { indent = 0 }

The main caveat is that if you have a heterogeneous grace group like \grace { e'8 f'16 g'16 }, it will make all notes from the group spaced equally.