Re: Documentation: Should we possibly have aliases for current stable an

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Documentation: Should we possibly have aliases for current stable and current devel?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 17:37:24 +0100

Hi,

From https://lilypond.org/help-us.html

Mailing list support: answer questions from fellow users. (This may entail helping them navigate the online documentation; in such cases it may sometimes be appropriate to point them to version-agnostic URL paths such as /latest/ or /stable/, which are automatically redirected.)”

Thanks for pointing this out, I never knew about this.

But: If I open https://lilypond.org/doc/stable/Documentation/notation/proportional-notation.html, I get redirected to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/proportional-notation.html - so if I copy the URL from my browser into an e-mail, I'm with a version-specific link again.

Wouldn't it be better (if that's at all possible) if the URL display in the browser could keep the explicit "stable" / "latest", and in turn add a button returning a permanent link to the page as currently displayed (which then contains the explicit version and language tag)?

Lukas