Re: Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:43:21 +0100

On 07/02/2023 19:25, tommy_strandberg@web.de wrote:
>  2. The handbook is very misleading as it states (
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/graphical-setup-under-windows
>
> <https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/graphical-setup-under-windows>)
>     “Place the resulting directory lilypond-x.y.z-mingw-x86_64 in a permanent
> location; the actual folder doesn’t matter; you just need to put it somewhere
> you won’t move it afterwards. For example, you could choose your home folder.”
>
> With the experience of today and my problems, this seems to be completely
> wrong and should be updated.

I disagree. There is no obvious reason why it should be so.

That section from the manual was written by me, and as the screenshots
show, I tested the installation procedure step by step, and it worked.
I definitely did not install anything into C:\Program Files or
C:\Program Files (x86) and I would recommend against doing so (there
is a reason why it requires admin rights). You are also the first one
to report this problem, two months after the release of version 2.24.0,
which means it is working for other people.

I don't know if the install location has anything to do with it,
but LilyPond is supposed to work while installed anywhere. If
it doesn't, there is a bug either in LilyPond, or in Fontconfig
(the library LilyPond uses to search fonts), or in your setup
(it could have been messed up by a completely different application),
but not in the documentation.

Which brings me back to the question about FC_DEBUG.

Regards,
Jean