Re: chord placement in Scores

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: chord placement in Scores
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 13:43:42 +0100

On 07/02/2023 12:51, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> On 07/02/2023 05:44, Jeff Kopmanis wrote:
>> I've found that when I put chords in my score, it's printing them /below/
>> the staff rather than above, as usual.  Things are normal if I'm not
>> building a score, but I'm wondering why this is happening.  I've included my
>> (big) .ly document and just the score PDF.  It was just very weird and I'd
>> thought I'd coded things /just like in the examples/.
>

> What is weird here exactly?
>
> The relevant part from your code is
>
>       \new PianoStaff \with {
>         instrumentName = "Piano"
>         shortInstrumentName = "Piano"
>       }<<
>         \new Staff = "rh" \pianoRHMusic
>         \new Dynamics \pianoDynamics
>         <<
>         \new ChordNames { \songChords }
>         \new Staff = "lh" \pianoLHMusic
>         >>
>       >>

> The contexts are being printed exactly in the vertical order that you
> specified.

Now I see that I misunderstood your problem, sorry.

For my defense, it is difficult to quickly digest a huge file.
This is why we ask for giving a minimal example when feasible.

https://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html

Here is a tiny example demonstrating the problem:

\version "2.24.0"

\new Staff <<
  \new ChordNames \chordmode { c1 }
  { c'1 }

The Staff context that \new Staff introduces cannot contain ChordNames contexts,
so the ChordNames gets moved out of it automatically. (This behavior is what
makes
ossia staves work.) Instead, you want

\version "2.24.0"

<<