Re: Translating “Extending LilyPond” — any takers?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Translating “Extending LilyPond” — any takers?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 12:44:38 +0100

On 07/02/2023 10:52, Kenneth Flak wrote:

> Hi Jean,
>
> Thanks so much for continuing to develop this invaluable resource! I have one
> small issue with the site in dark mode (which seems to be the default on my
> linux system and android phone): some of the writing is barely legible, with
> a very low contrast ratio. Including a couple of screenshots to show what it
> looks like. In chromium the page displays as a light theme, and is fully
> legible.

Thanks for the feedback. I had disabled the light/dark mode toggle, but didn't
think about people who have dark mode in their system configuration. I have
disabled dark mode entirely now, which should make the page appear in light mode
for everyone; can you try again? (You might have to clear your browser's cache
for
that site in order for the change to take effect; I think it will otherwise
remember
the mode from your last visit.)

The basic issue is that the syntax highlighting of the LilyPond code examples,
using the Pygments library, uses a color scheme that is LilyPond-specific
(because it's done based on concepts like "grobs", "engravers" that don't
easily translate into the "strings literals", "function names" etc. that most
Pygments styles understand). There are two such styles in the wild, one built
into Pygments and one found in the LilyPond documentation (plus a
black-and-white
one in the LilyPond documentation, for PDF output). Currently, neither of these
has a dark mode variant. If someone wants to make dark mode work well on this
site, the first step would be to create an adapted version of Pygments' LilyPond
color scheme.

Best,
Jean