Notehead and stem drawing order (z-index)

From: József Pap
Subject: Notehead and stem drawing order (z-index)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 14:51:55 +0100

Hi all,

Can I ensure that the stems are always drawn behind the noteheads? Their order along the imaginary z-axis may not matter if they're both black, but if one uses colored noteheads, stems drawn above noteheads are ugly. The default behavior seems pretty random with no discernible patterns: stems are sometimes drawn behind and sometimes in front of noteheads. Minimal example:

\relative c' {
  \override NoteHead.color = "red"
  c4 c c c d d d d e e e e f f f f g g g g a a a a b b b b c c c c
}

With version 2.24 on Linux the two middle E's and F's, the last two G's, the last three A's and the first B have their stems in front of the corresponding notehead, the rest are fine. I'd like to tell or trick lilypond into always drawing noteheads after (i.e. above) stems. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jozsef