Re: Sections or movements in a piece

From: John Whitmore
Subject: Re: Sections or movements in a piece
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 23:44:43 +0000

Thank you for that answer that works for me. I didn't realise there could be multiple scores

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 6:52 PM H. S. Teoh via LilyPond user discussion <lilypond-user@gnu.org> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 06:04:20PM +0000, John Whitmore wrote:
>    Hello all,
>        I'm on Ubuntu and currently only have version 2.22.1 installed so I
>    could upgrade a few versions by installing outside the package manager, if
>    that was required.
>    I'm not the music notation, or music, expert and not sure what is the
>    exact term for what it is I'm trying to do. I was search for "section" or
>    "movement" thinking that might be the classical tern for it. I'm trying to
>    put two distinct parts of music into a single score. So for example if you
>    were putting two nursery rhymes into a single page of sheet music and the
>    first is section A and second is Section B.
>    I hope that makes some sense to people, but I'm sure I'm probably using
>    the wrong terminology, and confusing the thing.

Wouldn't they be completely separate pieces?  Or are they "movements" as
in they are two parts of a single piece?

In any case, the way to typeset that in Lilypond is simply to use
multiple \score blocks:

        \version "2.25.1"
        \score {
                % first nursery rhyme here
        }
        \score {
                % second nursery rhyme here
        }

They will be put on a single page if they fit, otherwise they will be
put on separate pages.

If the comments and the code disagree, it's likely that *both* are wrong. -- Christopher