Re: minimum measure size?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: minimum measure size?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:08:33 -0800

On 2021-12-28 3:18 pm, Tom Sgouros wrote:
I was reviewing the settable parameters, but I think maybe I don't
understand enough of lilypond's native jargon yet to know what to look for. I found setting for counting measures and grouping measures, but what about
measuring measures? What tree should I be barking up here?

If your intention is to have to more room for penciling in things, you could look at the section on Horizontal Spacing [1]. There are a few ways in which you can instruct LilyPond to place notes further apart:

%%%%
notes = \relative b' { \time 3/4 b4 a g | a2 g4 | fis8 g a4 b | c2. \bar "|." }

{ \notes }
{ \override Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment = #2 \notes }
{ \override Score.SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1/32) \notes }
%%%%

[1]: https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/horizontal-spacing

Another option is to simply set the total number of systems for your score. LilyPond will naturally spread out music if it is constrained to meet a minimum system count:

%%%%
\paper { system-count = 2 }
{ \notes }
%%%%